With Summer just around the corner, it is well and truly time to transform your YARDart Cubby into an Ice Cream Truck!
Encourage the kids to get creative and start making a list of all of their favourite ice cream flavours. They could even create some new ones of their own!
There are lots of creative ways you can gather up the play props for your ice cream truck, but here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Paper cones and tissue paper ice creams – these ones are so easy and colourful to make: www.hellowonderful.co/post/make-tissue-paper-ice-cream-cone-flowers/
- Pinecone ice creams – with a bit of imagination, pinecones can look just like yummy chocolate ice cream soft scoops. You could even go one step further and paint some of your pinecones for different flavours!
- The real deal – of course you can’t beat tucking into some of your favourite real ice cream. I promise it tastes even better served up by and for your family and friends, from your very own ice cream truck!
Make your own Frozen Yogurt
Another healthier (but just as yum – almost) option could be to make your very own flavoured frozen yogurt, to serve up from your truck. Here is a simple family favourite we love from www.justataste.com:
- 4 cups frozen fruit of your choice
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of honey
Don’t forget to advertise all your delicious flavours on your in-built YARDart Cubby’s chalkboards and remember, by pricing, selling, giving change and buying their ice cream creations, the kids will of course also be practising their counting and mathematical money knowledge.
I hope you have lots of fun this Summer holiday in the backyard and promise to be back next year with many more cubby play ideas. In the meantime, if you missed last week’s blog, check it out here: Week 10
Anya Imhoff (nee Perkins) – Mum, teacher, ‘Mrs YARDart’ and Education Coordinator, Nature Play QLD.